Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Test post/Introduction


In 2017, the online gun blogging world lost one of it's greatest with the passing of Hognose, author of the superb Weaponsman blog. He was a giant in a world filled with greats. His eclectic postings on all manner of small arms, literature, history, and aviation were a great inspiration to me as I furthered my career in the firearms market.

While working the gun counter at Gander Mountain, I would often take to Facebook to lament humorously idiotic customers, stupid guns, and the shenanigans we would engage while repairing guns not worth repairing. After much prompting from friends and family, I decided I would start my own blog concerning firearms and the like.

A little bit about me: Air Force brat, gun lover, former frat boy turned professional Boy Scout who decided that shaping young men was taking too much of a toll on the liver and decided to start selling guns. I now work at a local pawn and gun where I get to see everything from Hi Points to original WWI M-1911s come in on pawn or consignment.

Moving forward, I'll try to do a daily post following a set schedule.

  • Military Monday - Cool Military History stories from America's involvement on the world stage
  • Tinkering Tuesday - What's currently on my work bench and giving MidayUSA money
  • Weapon Wednesday - Neat old guns from the back of the safe
  • Tactical Thursday - A few things I've learned here and there as an NRA Pistol Instructor
  • Free Form Friday - Either a chunk of my novel or maybe a rant about how the Braves bullpen sucks, depends on how much beer I drink at Hooters
  • Cinema Saturday - An homage to Hognose, I review what ever action movie Netflix spits out at me
  • Sunday Stories - The funny and sad stories from behind the gun counter

Thank you for stopping buy and reading my test post. I'll start in earnest on Sunday. 

-Counter Jockey.

22 comments:

  1. Bout damn time. And you left a few things out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Looking forward to reading your upcoming tales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously... now we get to annoy you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mac, I posted on my blog and linked yours.....and did an introduction...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you going to put up a RSS link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir. Hopefully by Sunday the blog will be fully formatted

      Delete
  6. The gun counter's a great place to learn stuff!

    Looking forward to seeing what you put up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes sir. e very journey begins with a first step.

      Delete
  8. Came here via Tam at VFTP - the same way I came to Weaponsman (RIP, Kevin). Your bonafides or at least your credit rating thus established I'll look in regularly.
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Boat guy. Thanks for dropping buy. I was active in Hognose's comments as SPEMack. Hope you enjoy what I have to offer.

      Delete
  9. Also a Tamalink...nice writing; I look at only three or four blogs and no fb or twit, but with forty years in pawn/gun/gold biz I'll check you out now and then...you might want to expand Sundays to gun AND pawn counter stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! When the well runs dry I'll keep that in mind.

      Delete
  10. Tammalanche. I miss The Weaponsman blog, and will try not to hold you up to the high standards he set. But welcome and you look to be off to a good start.

    Weredragon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best Wishes on the enterprise, CJ/SPEMack.

    Any friend of the Hognose commentariat is a gentleman and a scholar, and there's damned few of us left...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy. Glad to have you. Miss him everyday.

      Delete
  12. Yay, another one of the weaponsman regulars! Looking forward to this. Already added the RSS feed.

    My only bit of skepticism: A daily schedule is tough. Unless you have written out the first month of posts, I'd recommend going a bit slower. You can always increase your speed later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for trying to fill the hole in my reading life since Hognose deplaned. Just read the first couple of week's worth. So far you're doing a great job of being inspired by but not parroting. In Tam terms, thanks for the free ice cream--tastes great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mack, I'm Hognose's brother (aka KevsBlogBrother.) I was brought here by an SF buddy of Kevin's. Just wanted to let you know that I think he would feel very honored.

    I was absolutely struck in the year following Kevin's passing by the number of people who knew and loved him just from the blog. Never mind his hundreds of SF buddies, any of whom had an open invitation to his house and vice versa. He had a great impact and that has been a great source of comfort to his closest friends and family.

    As you may recall, I am not a gun guy, but the airplane project does proceed, and if you're ever in seacoast NH, I'd love to meet you. I can show you the progress and we can have a beer and share memories. You could email me at the hognose community email address posted at weaponsman.com.

    Thanks for keeping the flame alive!

    Brendan

    ReplyDelete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...