Monday, April 29, 2019

Military Monday - Guest Post "Do you want to be a warrior today?"

So, I'm back form a quick trip to the beach. While I was there, I somehow found us a co-author for this thing. I'm that hard up for content and Pudge is desperate for attention. What's the worst than can happen?

Posted below is a short bio of our new co-author and his first piece concerning the warrior mindset, which I figured is most appropriate for military monday. Moving forward, we'll have some more guest content from Pudge and I'll be sure to denote who is who. Thanks for stopping buy. - Counter Jockey

I’m currently employed by Uncle Sam as a girl scout hat wearer. My handle is Pudge because well, we all know how nicknames always make perfect sense. I grew up in God’s country (the Midwest) where I learned how to hunt and eat anything that moves and some things that don’t, tame horses, build loud cars, and generally be a red blooded American. While attending a school for wayward boys along the Hudson River I was blessed to meet my wife, who we’ll call Red (this nickname does make sense) and she has been putting up with me on my venture to plummet out of airplanes, help others when I can, and constantly trying to find a new part of my body to break. Due to Red and Jackie being best friends I was unfortunate enough to get roped into Mack’s gang of hoodlums and have been doing my best to make him proud since.


Pudge looking all tacticool


Mindset- Do you want to be a warrior today?
I feel that this is a fitting topic for my first attempt at writing. If I’m going to do something then I want to excel at it. I know we all start somewhere and today I start here with blogging. So, I start with what is one thing I know; how to be a warrior. It doesn’t matter if I’m out in the middle of the desert trying my best to dodge bullets while making sure the other guy doesn’t or making supper for my family, I want to win at it. I want to first give credit where credit is due; I was scrolling through the gamut of gun gurus and a post from Ronin Tactics caught my eye. It made me think about how all of us gun/survivalist/prepper/insert name here guy are always looking for a new piece of gear or new skill that can make us a better warrior. But sometimes we forget that the most important piece of kit we can have is our minds and it is unbelievable what your body can do if your mind is prepared.
There is always someone out there preparing to kill one of the great sons or daughters of America. They do not always have good gear, good tactics, or good training but they have a belief it is what they are supposed to do. We think with all our cool gear and other stuff war is easier but it still comes down to mindset. Did I work my ass off today so that I can be better prepared for what may come? When I wake up in the morning do I say yes when I ask myself; do you want to be a warrior today? Everyone has their sayings but what matters is can you take that and make it yours? I ask myself do I want to be a warrior today so that I can protect my God, my Country, and my Family. Protection doesn’t just mean from harm. Can I show my son as he grows how to be a man? Can I make sure my wife has everything she needs? Can I be a leader and mentor to the men I am blessed and honored to lead?
No matter what you do in your daily life be the best at it. Be a warrior today. Be a warrior everyday.

6 comments:

  1. Being a warrior is NOT always about chasing the latest and greatest toy. It's about practice, practice, and more practice at the 'tools' one needs. We had a guy we called 'Terrible Tommy' who always showed up with the latest and greatest tacticool guns/gear. BUT he never practiced, and routinely was at the bottom of the sheet at any competition he went to. He could never understand what was wrong... Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we all know someone just like that who just doesn't get it. It isn't always the biggest, strongest guy either. I've served with some guys who you would never guess were in the Army, let alone SF, but they were absolute warriors.

      Delete
  2. Hey Pudge;

    Welcome to the world of blogging...and putting up with Mack, LOL Mack speaks well of you.
    As far as being a warrior, I remembered something I saw in I think either Fort Dix or Fort Jackson, it showed a charging infantryman with a bayonet and they stated "Building the ultimate weapon". Granted this was the 1980's, I personally went to Fort "Lost in the Woods in Misery". Being a "warrior" is a mindset, not gear, although the latest and greatest is cool, LOL. I use gear that is 30 years out of date, but I am comfortable with it and it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome. Hopefully I'll be able to add some worthwhile content on here. Or make Mack cringe, either way it will be good.
      It's not out of date if it works! All the newest, coolest gear in the world may help certain things but it doesn't help when you're exhausted from climbing a mountain and still have a full day of fighting ahead of you. Only a warrior mindset can help you get through what's to come.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the post, so keep on writing. Former 82nd Paratrooper here, just trying not to get too out of practice and keep the dad bod somewhat in check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your time careening towards the ground. Priorities definitely change over time but being ready when needed is an ongoing effort. And as long as Mack puts up with it you'll be hearing from me again.

    ReplyDelete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...