Sunday, May 26, 2019

Memorial Monday

If you pick up I-16 in Macon and head east, right before you get to the Statesboro exit, you pass the Georgia Veteran's Memorial cemetery. Buried there are a lot of south Georgia's gallant dead. Men who fought against Yankee expansionism, the Kaiser's dreams of Empire, Communism and Islamic Fascists.

More than a few of the grave markers there are guys I know. Starting your career in the Guard means you serve with dudes you went to school with. Guys you were in Boy Scouts with. Guys who had Dads that fought with your Old Man.

I am often somber on Memorial Day, but; I find something to go do. My friends, my fallen comrades, the guys who are remembered by a cheap enamel pin with a gold star on it wouldn't want to be mourned.

Those guys would enjoy their three or four day. Drink a couple of beers. Head to the lake. Take advantage of the sales at Bass Pro.

I have been and will for always be indebted to guys who slapped a mag in an M-4, looked into the abyss, and said "bring it, bitch."

Those are the guys that won the day at Cowpens, Chapultepec, Gettysburg, Santiago, the Marne, Bastonge, Pork Chop Hill, Ia Drang, Beirut, 33 Easting, Fallujah, and the Korengal.

I am honored to have worn the same uniform.

I am further honored to be friends with guys that still wear the uniforms. Some of whom are still flying into the Sandbox or are gearing up to head their in the fall. I feel better about having my relief in place.

In 2016, I saluted the Colonel, took my flag and MSM, and hung up the uniform. I miss it. My knees only kinda work and my back hurts most days; but, that was probably the most meaningful thing I ever did.

The second most meaningful thing I ever done was say "Sure, I''ll hang around this fall" when the Boy Scout Camp director asked if I wanted work some after the summer season was over.

That summer season starts tomorrow in earnest. Cindy somehow found herself in charge of the show after I left. She's a good friend of Jackie's. And me. And is married to Dennis who does most of my reloading.

So, tomorrow, I'm gonna shake off a hangover, drink some coffee, put my chainsaw, tool bag, and RTIC cooler in the back of the truck and go to Camp for a couple of hours.

The kids there are alright. They understand service and sacrifice. If it comes to blows with the Norks, the Chi Comms, or the Iranians, those Joes (and Janes now) will answer the call and do the Nation proud.

And that's why there are rows and rows of simple marble markers down in south Georgia. So this Nation, of the People, by the People, and for the People will not perish from this earth.

I honor their memory and mourn their passing. However, I will sure as hell drink a couple of beers and swig some bourbon after we get home from Camp. But it will be in celebration of old men who held the line and the next generation who will take the watch.

Rest east, guys. We have the watch and relief in place is on line.



5 comments:

  1. Great write-up to honor those who answered the call and gave everything. I do my best to honor these men and women by living life to the fullest and not in sadness of their untimely deaths but in celebration of the lives they led and those they touched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mack;

    Excellent writeup. I get more introspective the older I get, The Georgia Military Cemetery in Milledgeville is a great cemetery. I have done several Patriot Guard Missions there, that is where my Dad wants to be planted when he crosses over and eventually I will be there also. It is the nature of things. I also want people to celebrate Memorial Day, and perhaps some GI will see some free range boobies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have been and will for always be indebted to guys who slapped a mag in an M-4, looked into the abyss, and said 'bring it, bitch.'"

    This.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once spoke with a firefighter, running out of the same house as my EMS unit. New on the job, I asked him, "What's it like not being afraid to enter a burning building?"

    He looked at me, and said, "Anybody who will tell that they aren't scared entering a building on fire, will tell you other lies besides."

    "So, why do you do it?"

    Again, The Look. "Because people are counting on me to suit up and enter. Their father, mother, son or daughter, sister, brother is in there, counting on me to get them out, safely. Because other things are more important than my fear. Like duty."

    "Bring it, bith!", indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...