Friday, September 27, 2019

Damn Near Free Friday - P-85 Edition

So, continuing with the theme from this week of cheap guns; we'll take a look at something I bought out the back of Shotgun Firearm News a couple of weeks ago. We'll discuss price here in just a minute.



Why yes dear reader; that is a Ruger P-85. The few Ruger auto aficionados among you may recognize that as a pre-Mk II P-85, meaning it is a super early gun. Like first production guns in 1985 old.

So, the P-85 is a Browning style action modified to be DA/SA. Pretty straight forward.
Well designed, over built, blocky to the point of what some would call ugly, the gun just works. Ruger originally designed the gun, or at least began the process for the 1984 Joint Service Pistol Trial. Just think, we could have been carry that lovely piece of American made hardware.

So, Jackie buys my Old Man a subscription to Shotgun Firearm News every year for Father's Day. And after Pop reads them; he gives to me. And in the back each month there are generally cheap surplus pistols for sell.

Over the last six, eight months I've been looking at an ad for P-85 pistols, and have seen the price steadly decrease. When it hit $165; I said screw it and called in his my credit card and file copy of the store's FFL handy.

The gun didn't come with a magazine nor did it come with a case. And it was sticky. Yeah, ewwwww.

As a funny aside; the weapon has an import mark stamped on the under side of the frame. So, Ruger sold this particular gun somewhere aboard and then some Yankee surplus warehouse brought it back home. But being headquartered out of New Jersey, they couldn't bring in the 15 round standard magazines.

So, when it showed up at work, I field stripped it, put it back together and then did a 4473. And shot a box of Remington overrun 115 grn  FMJ through it. No issues. Other than it being legit sticky to the touch. Ewww.

And I took it down to Florida last week. Where Pudge provided some ammo for further testing.


Yeah, it ate a whole box of Tul Ammo and didn't seem to care. Other than still being sticky to the touch.

All the Ruger 9mm P- series guns feed from the same mag. So I use my stash of AWB compliant ten rounders for general range use and run Mec-Gar 15 and 17 rounders for self defense or competition.

So, in summation, a cheap, well built American pistol function just like it ought to. And gives me a fun knock around gun to wave about proving I'm not a raving Glock fan boi all the time.

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, so.... I have one too. Yes, it's ugly and clunky. Still, it's about as reliable as anyone could realistically wish a pistol to be.

    It's my bedroom pistol. The one I REALLY want to work 100% should I ever require it. It took about 1000 rounds to make me comfy with it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got two P-95 pistols. One is my end table gun. The other is a backup. Great shooters, hard to carry though. Utterly reliable.

      Delete

  2. Great article. Thank you for sharing this information. This is beneficial for me
    regards:
    Online Weapon Store

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fun gun to shoot! A giant chunk of steel that you could feel every movement of the slide cycling. And it’s always a plus when something runs cheap steel ammo. Usually is a sign of good reliability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep intending to take it all the way apart and give it a bath. Aside from getting rid of the stickiness it might smooth up just a tinger

      Delete
  4. Yep, definitely a chunk o' steel. At least it's a RELIABLE chunk o' steel! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also makes an effective tertiary framing hammer

      Delete
  5. Hey Mack;

    I owned a Ruger P89, Similar pistol and really liked it. I remembered reading that Ruger had thought enter the competition for the replacement for the 1911 that the government had in the armory since WWII, but for some reason Beretta "won" the contract but I thought the Ruger was a better pistol. $165 ain't a bad price at all for that pistol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruger didn't finalize the gun in time to enter. The P-226 preformed better but Beretta brought in a good enough gun at a lower price point

      Delete
  6. For some reason I could never hit a Damn thing with a P series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blame the trigger. Mushy is the only word that comes to mind.

      Delete
  7. I liked you showcasing the bargain basement, yet functional blasters. What's up next? Kel-Tec?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not a Kel Tec. But look for an SR9 and a LEO S&W M&P trade in write up in the near future.

      Delete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...