Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Weapons Wednesday - A Light Dragoon

So, in the U.S. military, a dragoon was a mounted infantryman. For whom the horse was simply a method to get into combat quickly. A cavalry man being a mounted soldier whom used his horse for scouting and mobility.

Colonel Cooper pioneered the term and concept of a scout rifle. A lightweight rifle suitable for both hunting and some combat. A rifle to be chambered in .308 Win or 7mm-08 in those locals prohibiting military cartridges.

He also championed a lightweight, heavier weapon. Which he wished to be called the Dragoon. He was a fan of the stillborn .376 Steyr. This heavy rifle was to be called Dragoon. And shoot a 225 grn bullet. Which would be suitable for just about anything in Africa. Minus the heffalumps.


Well, you see, I've never bought one hundred percent into the scout rifle concept. But the Dragoon always appealed to me.

I just suck at math.

Because 178 grns is a bit less than 225 grns.

But, hey, my impulse gun show purchase at least had irons sights.

So, for no other reason than I had cash in hand, this beauty came home with me.


Above is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .300 Ruger Compact Magnum, or RCM.

It's a thumper. Not quite enough for the dangerous game in Africa but good for everything in North America. We want discuss my previous rant on the .35 Whelen.



I'm rather pleased with myself. Got it for a steal. An oddball platform in an oddball caliber. But hey, I can order ammo at wholesale.

.300 RCM is designed to mimic the performance of the .300 Win Mag is a shorter, handier rifle.

I haven't actually shot the thing yet, but I have high hopes. Hogs will fear me.



Integral Ruger scope rings of course and iron sights. Probably gonna put a Loopy 1x4 of some sort on it, simply because it has a 22 inch barrel.

I still don't know. Total impulse buy. But damn it looks good on the bench.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Mack;

    Yeah it does, and you do have a knack of picking up good rifles as my Garand will attest to. PSA though...you DO work at the range, I am surprised that you haven't fired it yet....gotta get with the program, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no desire to light this thing off in doors from a bench. LOL

      Delete
    2. That thing beauty of a find. Of all the places I've drug Mack, we finally found a winner. Mr. Garabaldi, if he doesn't shoot it soon I'm going to make him bring it to me so I can put it through it's paces!

      Delete
    3. Pudge,

      You'd get confused because it has walnut and blued steel

      Delete
  2. Nice find! :-) Now to find thea ammo... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already ordered a case through work! Hornady loads the Precision Hunter for it

      Delete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...