Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Tuesday Tips

Threadlocker Tips
By Pudge
If you are going to be running a red dot sight on a handgun or use thread locker for any reason then today’s tip is for you.
Let’s start with the best type of thread locker to use for a MRDS (miniaturized red dot sight). Vibra-tite VC3 comes highly recommended by Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics. This guy should know as he has used and abused about every MRDS there is out there. This thread locker will keep your screws in place but will let you take them out without having to worry about using heat to get them loose.
Next, I also learned that I haven’t been applying the thread locker I’ve been using correctly. I’ve been just putting it on the screw and then screwing it in. This can actually cause you to overtighten your screws because the liquid acts as lubricant until it is cured. This will make it even harder to get out your screws even if inserted with the right amount of torque. So, the best way to do this is: push the screws through a piece of paper so the threads are up, then apply the thread locker and wait about 15-30 minutes. After letting it cure for a little bit, pull the screws back down through the paper. This will wipe off any excess thread locker so that you have the correct amount on the screw prior to using. Then you just screw them in like normal and you will have much better luck if you haven’t been doing it this way. This little tip came from one of the engineers who helped create Loctite. I figured he probably knows what he is talking about.
Another thing I started doing is making a timing mark on my screws and the optic so that at a quick glance I can see if anything has come loose. (Figured this one out after I was having some zero shift due to a wiggly optic.) For this I've been using a red paint pen. It makes it easy to see and is pretty durable but can be cleaned off easily and remarked if I take the sight off and then reinstall later. This will help you know everything is where it should be and keep away some head scratching.

Marking the screw heads to make sure at a glance nothing has moved.

This tip can be used for any situation you would normally use a threadlocker.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Pudge;

    I didn't know the paper trick for loctite, but the timing mark is a common feature in the aviation industry when we torque a bolt, then mark it to verity that it didn't "wiggle" loose. Inspectors looove to see timing marks, LOL, we call them "torque stripes". You and Mack gotta do the "Wild Geese" as a Friday Movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Garabaldi,

      The marking I've done for a long time on many things. Funny isn't it how things carrier over through all sorts of matters. Mack and I will definitely have to watch and discuss Wild Geese. I've been wanting to for a while now so I think it'll be time soon.

      Delete
  2. Yep, good tip and surprised your armorer didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,

      Some knowledge seems to slip through the cracks and we slowly lose it. Hopefully, these simple tips will keep getting passed around.

      Delete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...