Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Tinkering Tuesday - Conservative Creedmoor

So, way back in the halycon days of Gander Mountain, I sold me a whole bunch of guns. And a lot of them were Rugers. So, the fine folks in Prescott, sent me a Ruger American Predator in the newest, most awesome, best shooting, hyper sonic, tank killing, Bob Lee approved cartridge, known to man. The 6.5 Creedmoor.

Oh, that's last week cartridge. We've moved on the 6.5 PRC. Oh, wait, that was yesterday. We are now on to the 6mm Creedmoor.

Excuse, me had, to pop a Dramamine. I got a little woozy from all the bullshit. Had a dream I was shooting the Wimbledon Cup with a .224 Valkyrie and Julie Golob was spotting for me.

All kidding aside, the cartridge of the week is not a disease I'm always immune to. So, a newish cartridge in a free rifle was nothing to complain about.

But today I'm really going to talk about the optic I sourced for it. Realistically, the 6.5 CM is capable of hitting targets easily at 700 yards, even with factory ammo. It is certainly capable of taking paper targets anyway at 1,000 yards.

So, I wanted to harness the massive power of this new, controllable, brisk recoiling cartridge, oh wait, went down the buzzword rabbit hole again, but yeah, I needed good glass to make this project worth the transfer fee.

So, I went with a Loopy VX-3 3.5x10 Boone and Crockett.

The Boone and Crockett clubs is one of those organisations guys like me give money to for a cool sticker. Oh, and to promote good conservation practices of game animals. Can't hunt them if they're already dead.

I'm not real sure of the partnership that Leupold and the B&C had working; but, t's still really cool.

It's like Mil-Dots, but without all the brain sweat.

So, the recticle lends itself to easy shooting with very little weaponized math as long as you know your distance and bullet weight, which any competent shooter should know before heading out into the bush.

After the first of the year, I'm ordering a new MagPul American stock that will allow me to both use AICS mags and actually grip the damn thing. The cheap stock coming on the gun, being, well cheap.

I'm excited. And this a somewhat new area for me. Haven't really done a lot of long range shooting; nor, do ugly black plastic bolt guns generally appeal to me, but, I fell for the marketing hype. This week, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mack;

    I remembered reading today that the Army new caliber for their rifle is 6.8 CM to replace all the poodleshooters er M16/M4 rifles in Inventory. I don't know if they actually will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 6.8, but it's gong to be a cased telescopic round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, and hope you're good at math off the top of the head...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...