Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Tinkering Tuesday - A DIY NAG

So, Pudge is continuing to make me look competent this week. Below you'll find his write up concerning his home built Not A Glock. What makes it funny is Pudge is a bit of a Troglodyte who thinks the Browning Hi Power is still a modern service pistol.


NAG-19
I’m sure some of you reading this are like me and very much dislike Glocks. I am also sure there are an equal number who say that Gaston created perfection. And if by perfection you mean the need to buy the gun, stipple the grip, undercut it and reduce it to get a better angle similar to some guy I know who made a gun that won two world wars, then yes, Gaston nailed it. Now that my rant is over I will be the first person to recommend one of these tupperware pieces to friends of mine getting into the firearms realm as a good, first handgun. I understand the merits of such a piece and since I carry one for Uncle Sam I made sure I can shoot one with quite vigor.

I cut my teeth on a 1911 so I am very biased on triggers and the way a gun should feel in the hand. (I may have mentioned this a few times when I talked about the Hudson H9) But if you are new to firearms why not start with a piece that is easy to learn and let’s be honest, can be neglected more than others. But since this was for me and not for someone else I decided the best way to get into the plastic fantastic game was to make my very own NAG-19 (Not A Glock-19). I started with a compact size polymer 80 lower (known as the PF940C) and proceeded to build the best piece of plastic perfection I could.



As I mentioned I’m not a big fan of polymer frames but I can deal with this one. It comes double undercut from the factory, they threw on a beavertail for men with real hands like myself, straightened the grip and removed that nasty bump on the back and the terribly placed finger grooves on the front and changed out the Glock rail for a standard picatinny offering. After throwing some other aftermarket parts on it to make sure I didn’t use a single factory part from Glock I’d say that I created something a little closer to what a G19 should be in my opinion.



You may ask, if I’m not a fan of tupperware then why did I make one? A few reasons, but mostly because I can. I am a very curious person who loves guns so I like to put my own stuff together whenever I can. I have played armorer myself a few times on the Team because sometimes you don’t always have support where you are and it’s nice to know you can fix your own stuff. I wanted to build something that if needed could utilize all of the common parts and pieces that may be found laying around when SHTF if that is a thing. Lastly, I want to say that if you are patient and find the right deals you can make quite the blaster for less than you can buy perfection that needs to have more cheddar spent to modify it. So if you like tinkering and have an exacto knife and a Dremel and want to flex your rights then go forth and build your own NAG.

Editor note: Moving forward, we will probably be looking a bit more closely at turning a P80 chunk of plastic into a NAG. Because we can and I like to think that it pushes *insert gun grabber here* a little further towards a coronary each time a "ghost gun" is knocked out on a drill press.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Pudge;

    I tend to agree, I am not a fan of the Glock, I consider them the appliance or the toyota camry of the gun shooting world, ...sure they work and work well but they have no soul. You gotta be careful talking down glocks around Mack, he is a glock fanboi and he gets grumpy when someone disparages his favorite pistol, LOL. I was trying to figure out what you used for your upper, and give Mack hell the next time you see him :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Garabaldi,
      Mack has been doing his best to convert me but luckily I won't fall for his nonsense! I used a Swenson slide and barrel from Midway. My main goal of this build was to do it for a reasonable price but still have everything I wanted in a soul less hunk of plastic.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. You're the first one I know of that has actually completed one. I bought my first Glock in 87, primarily to use as a carry piece, since I didn't want to 'lose' my 1911 if, God forbid, I ever had to use it. As Mr.G says, they're tactical tupperware, soulless and meh... But the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      I'm a curious guy and really wanted to try one of these out since I didn't know anyone else who had done one. Similar to you my primary thought was to have a woods gun that I wouldn't be quite as angry about if I lost or fell in the river with. I am very happy with this piece of tupperware so far. It is a very smooth shooting piece and a fun little project.

      Delete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...