Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Weapons Wednesday - Steadfast Smiths

So, we all know that when I'm not singing the praises of the tactical tupperware, that I'm a big time fan of those awesome hammer fired bottom feeders from Springfield, Massachusetts.

Immediately after World War II all the way until the late 2000s, Smith and Wesson made some variation of their Model 39 pistol.

Now, when I say variant of the Model 39 I am taking a bit of liberty. Because S&W made a whole bunch of different guns that sort of kind of used the same SA/DA system.

Oh, and they started making a double stack version and called it the Model 59. Oh, and then they made it in stainless as the 659. Or something.

S&W model numbers are something I have a working knowledge of but don't claim to be proficient in.

But I am smart enough to know that when I see a damn near new Model 469 in the case at the old pawn shop to yell shut up and take my money to Kurt Man. Who did just that. Good man that Kurtis.



Not a fan of the after market grips, but they'll suffice for now.

The thing shoots pretty well. Which is to be expected of an all steel bobbed hammer SA/DA gun.

As far as impulse buys go, this was pretty good. I got it for three c-notes.

And that kind of represents the problem with the 2nd and 3rd Gen Smiffs. They were just too expensive and didn't offer that much in a qualitative value over things like the Glock or Ruger P- series pistol.

Which is why you can find them in pawn shops cheap.

Which is kinda sad though. Cause those old Service Smiffs served very well and have been effectively cast off to the dust bin of service sidearm history.

So, whenever I pick up one cheap, I like to clean it up real good and then go shoot the hell out of it.

Somewhere that pistol, in a previous life, was some tough cop's off duty piece. Or maybe a DEA agent carried it while doing plain clothes work in Miami.

Old pistols are like old airplanes. Everyone I pick up or look at I instinctively wonder what its past life was like. And hope that it gets an honorable retirement.

And that's exactly what I hope to give to this humble 469. Shot it the other day and when we start bowling pin matches again it will do good work in the retro class.


Thanks for stopping buy. And remember; don't wear socks with your loafers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mack;

    Hey Socks with Loafers work...You Just hating. I am keeping an eye out for one, it on one my list of pistols to buy along with the a Masada that Aaron has persuaded me to buy also. Surprisingly I was never a fan of "Smiffs" I happen to own a couple...Funny how that works, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our regulars has a Masada. I was impressed.

      Delete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...