Sunday, November 11, 2018

Sunday Stories - 11th Hour

100 years ago, the guns fell silent. General Pershing said we should have occupied Germany proper. But then what would a Soldier know about how to win a war.

100 years on, we still have wars to fight. But this is a gun blog.


I like fighting pistols. I carried a Beretta, though as a squad and platoon leader, my weapon was a radio. As a Company Commander, my weapon was enabling the domination of  the battle space by the battalion commander by keeping the HHC functioning. Yeah, that sucked.

A friend of mine is down range with a Glock 19 on his side. In a couple of months, some kids from Boy Scout camp who worked for me, truly some of the nation's best, will be down range with M-4 carbines and war weary M-16A2s and -240s in pintle mounts.

It was my honor and privilege to saddle up to the faint rattle of musketry over the far hill.

A lot of my friends did, too. A lot of the people on the sidebar did as, well. My Old Man, next door neighbor, Father in Law, Brother in Law, Mother in Law, favorite Uncle, and Grand Daddy did too.

Today I'm gonna go bust clays with Dennis. And maybe come back and drink a beer and watch war movies on TV.




6 comments:

  1. Hey Mack;

    I heard that the 48th was getting activated yesterday. I wish I could ride toward the rattle of musketry but I did that in the 80's and early 90's. Now it is the new generation that will do that although I wish I could go with them. Only those like us understand that feeling. Have fun busting clays with Dennis and let me know what movie you will watch. Personally I would go with "Siege of Firebase Gloria".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis beat me by *mumble mumble* birds. Watched the President in France, American Sniper, Sergeant York, and the end of The Rough Riders

      Delete
  2. Mack, first off, don't be sad as I'm sure Dennis crushed you elegantly! If used correctly the radio can definitely do some damage even though every time I key up I longingly look down at some Austrian engineering. Those old Boy Scouts are about to be welcomed into an even different brotherhood soon. I look up to all of you past and present for what you've done and continue to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis beat me by 12 birds. It was pretty bad. Check six.

      Delete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...