Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Weapons Wednesday - Worrisome Replacement

I'm not a fan of the M-17/M-18 pistols. And that's not say that Sig made a bad gun. The concept is flawed, the program un Godly expensive for what it is, and frankly, we've got better things to worry about than a fancy new hand gun.

That being said, I'm gonna talk about the last new general issue handgun the military had. I say general issuee because a buncha buncha SOF dudes carry Glocks, M-11A1s, and a few holdout still rocking an updated version of J.M. Browning's Government Model of 1911. The Colt M-45A1 probably being my favorite pistol on the above list; followed by the M-11A1.

But, in 1985, which much scorn and fan fare, the U.S.military formally adopted the M-9 Beretta. Sorta. Lots of guys still carried M-1911A1s. And a lot of dudes in the USAF still carried S&W K-frame .38s, like my Dad who thinks DA/SA is stupid.

The Beretta has served admirably for three decades. Including several conflicts and military operations other than war. Originally, I had planned to post this last week, as a fitting Military Monday before 9/11, but then we had evacuees.

However, for me, where as I like the -1911 and Glocks, the M-9 will always be the first hand gun I was issued.

I sometimes wonder with the adoption of a polymer DAO stryker fired hand gun as the new approved service weapon, how many guys twenty years from now will be sitting at the VFW saying

"You know, when I was fighting the GWOT wars, we carried a real pistol, made of steel with a hammer."

A now old gun with old ammo
I gave into nostalgia and bought a Beretta not long ago. It's well made. It shoots good. And for a certain era of veterans, it will be the gun we watched Hollywood Heroes fight bad guys with and then the gun we fought bad guys with.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mack

    Yeah, we were issued Beretta's when we deployed, although I owned a .45 springfield, the one that got stolen later in Griffin. The price for the Beretta's were outlandish back then, like $600+ in 1990 dollars, a lot of money for an E-4 like myself. My dad later had the Taurus knockoff and it shot good, but he traded it later for a glock. I did like the ergonomics and of course Bruce willis using one in "Die Hard" as did Mel Gibson in "Lethal weapon."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a trivia item for you. Bruce and Mel used the exact same gun!

      Delete
  2. My first issue pistol was an M1911A1.
    We got M9's as I was leaving.

    I've got more nostalgia for the JMB than the Beretta, but own both today.

    I remember HATING the M9 when I was first issued it. Now I've warmed to it a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...