Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Tinkering Tuesday - For Real Ghost Gun

The 1968 Gun Control Act prohibits an unlicensed person from making a firearm to sell. However, that being said, you can churn out as many home built guns as you like so long as they comply with federal and local laws. That is to say I can't make a Sten gun in my garage because it would a be an unregistered, post '86 machine gun. May Charlie Rangle burn in hell with Stalin, Hitler, and Sherman.

But, all that being said, I can still make anything else I see fit.

So, what does an intrepid gun right's activist do?

He buys a second hand drill press!

Why yes, that is bobber cooler. It floats!


MidwayUSA was blowing out Polymer80 Gen 3 Not A Glock lowers. It was an impluse buy. But if you give an aspiring machinist a drill press, he's gonna buy an 80% lower.

I'm under no illusions that the Feds, if they wanted to could run my card purchase to my PO Box and then to me. But I doubt it ever comes to that.

However, some dumbass congress critter, but I repeat myself, has decided home gunsmithing is bad and scary. And therefor must be banned. Because all those kids offing one another in Chicago have basement arsenals like the Israelis in the War of Independence. Yeppers. That's that ticket.

Oh hell no it ain't. The reason you get guns in Chicago and the like is two fold:
A) Guns don't wear out. So even that Hi Point C9 is gonna get passed around for years.
B) The Feds rarely prosecute straw purchasers. Rarely.

But, HR 7115 goes after the guys like me who like to do things in our garage. The fella who only has one lower but a couple of different uppers in multiple calibers. The bench rest shooter that free floats and changes barrels because he's shooting something like 300 H&H.

Else where in the gun blogospehere I read, and can't remember where, that this bill is an attack on dedicated gun owner. And if we can be silenced, the fella who keeps a Shield in his sock drawer is next.

That is very much the case. However, if it becomes illegal to make your own firearms, what's to stop me from saying screw my Not a Glock and building a Sten clone? The parts for that are cheaper at Lowes. Or even cheaper at the local hardware store where they don't have a UPC scanner and prefer cash.

Call your Reps. Tell them HR 7115 is stupid and they are too. Well, maybe not that last part.

2 comments:

  1. Already done, and they agree, but I DO live in Texas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mack;

    I agree, but I guess I will torment our congresscritter on it. I wouldn't mind building a sten or something like that as my "go to the mattresses" gun when the cloud people are successful in stripping my rights from me to make me a serf or a wage slave to support them.

    ReplyDelete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...