Friday, April 17, 2020

Film Friday - 13 Hours


Thanks for tuning in for our second Film Friday which is actually posted on time. Damn. Pudge is like the best accountability partner ever. This week we're taking a look at "13 Hours"

Pudge writes:

I want to start out by saying that of course I like this movie because of the action but also because of the willingness of certain individuals to find their way to yes so that they could provide assistance any way possible. It is a tragedy of what occurred but to know there are those out there willing to risk everything to save others is the silver lining. It is hard to stomach the response to the crisis. It may not have altered the outcome but it couldn’t have hurt. All we can do is remember those that sacrificed and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I really don’t have anything bad to say about 13 Hours. My only complaint would be the extra little drama thrown in here and there. I know it is for extra effect but not always needed. I cannot vouch for the specifics of some of the so called ‘over the top’ scenes but I can say that things like this really do happen. In many countries you may run into checkpoints controlled by militia, you will get looked at strange or followed because you are American, and if someone is bold enough to carry out an attack, they will throw everything they have at you.

I very much liked the intense scenes where it takes a wise crack or smart ass to diffuse the situation. Again, not unrealistic at all. One thing I’ve noticed is that no matter country, race, religion, ethnicity, is that all fighters are the same to some degree. At some small level we are all bonded by what we do. This is how a tense situation can be diffused by what may seem like a dumb gesture to the uninitiated. I can provide many examples of this just from my perspective.

My favorite part about this movie and others like it is that it can be a way of honoring those who lived it. Telling their story and letting us learn from it makes these my go to movies. I love watching one and then going on a deep dive fact finding mission. I’ve probably learned more history this way than any book has taught me.

Mack writes:

The movie is hard to watch. Doubly so if you have a combat arms back ground. There are a couple of scenes, where, when things are really effing bad, that you can't help but think: "Damn, I wish I could have been there. Maybe with one or two of my battle buddies. Might could have made a difference."

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the current CINC; but, this film illustrates why He was certainly the best choice for the American people in 2016. 

My minor quibble has to do with firearms. None of the Operators actually carried Gucci Glocks but they do look cool on the big screen. 

Other than that, I can't recommend this film enough. Watch it and be thankful that America has such warriors willing to do such hard things for Her and Her People. 

Sidenote: Tig is cool as hell. And GemTech makes a pretty good can. 


4 comments:

  1. Hey Pudge;

    I have seen it and have avoided watching it for the same reasons it took years for me to watch "Black Hawk Down" for the same reasons. It is part of who we are to run to the sounds of gunfire, it is what makes us Americans, it binds us, we know that if we get into some serious shit people would move heaven and earth to save us. That is why the events of "13 hours" has offended so many people except the hard core leftist that view anything that the "messiah" did as holy and any criticism as blasphemy. I will go watch the movie.
    Hey Mack, I recall that Picture, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Garabaldi,

      I think the biggest takeaway from this film is how the actors were able to portray the brotherhood between each of these guys. They all came from different backgrounds and weren't fighting for some political reason but for each other and what was the right thing to do.

      Delete
  2. Yep, good movie. I wasn't a ground pounder, but that camaraderie carries over into any military field. Friend of mine was part of the team that got stood down. He's STILL pissed. And he knew most of the guys over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in between deployments and living in the old SPE house. Watched in play out on Fox News. I could not for the life of me understand why there wasn't a whole damn MEU in the air or coming over the beach.

      Delete

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...