Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Weapons Wednesday

Nomad Defense Nomad 9-
By Pudge

I did something again. In the continual quest to be a better shooter I found a new shiny object that drew me in. Welcome home the Nomad Defense Nomad 9 frame compatible with all of Mack’s favorite Gen 4 tupperware parts. Before we start, yes, the best way to improve is to practice and not go buy new ‘wonder’ gadgets. But as I’ve stated many times and will continue to do so, the Austrian ‘perfection’ just doesn’t fit my hand that well. Because of this, I built my NAG and SPACENAG that many of you have already read about. I really like the P80 frames and have been extremely happy with mine over the past 2 years but when I saw the Nomad Defense frame, I saw another option in the expanding market that might fit me just a hair better. In the world of self-defense and competition (self-defense is its own competition to live) I want to squeeze out every bit of advantage that I can.



Nomad frame as it comes in the box.


Completed handgun.

Initial thoughts on this frame are amazing. It is a 100% completed and serialized frame made for those trying to improve their Gen 4 blasters. The variances between the Nomad frame and a regular tupperware frame may not seem huge but they do make a huge difference. The more notable changes are removed finger grooves, an enlarged trigger guard, a beavertail, more natural grip angle for those of us who grew up on real steel, and changeable backstraps. The more subtle additions include forward gas-peddle like thumb ledges, a beveled internal magazine well, and moving to the two-pin design. The slides I have tested on it both Gen 3 and Gen 4 have cycled smoothly and flawlessly.

The changes from a standard Glock and the Polymer80s, which I do really like, are why I wanted to test this frame out and see if it could live up to its marketing hype. So far, I’d say it definitely does. I really like the beavertail. It keeps me from getting railroad tracks dug into my hands and they also combined it with a nice contour that allows for very possibly the highest grip on the market. The stippling is not quite as grippy as some but it seems to remain locked in place and doesn’t move around. (Being not quite as rough is also nicer on my skin while carrying concealed.) The thumb ledges give you a very nice index point and can help mitigate some muzzle flip. The only downside (which also creates benefits) of this frame is the enlarged trigger guard. I only call it a downside as it is just enough different that it can limit some of your holster options. To me it isn’t a big deal because I run a light and all my light bearing holsters work with it. Some non-light bearing holsters will work as well but it can hinder some options.


Trigger guard differences.


Backstrap differences.


Overall comparison to P80.

To this point, I’ve only gotten to run a few hundred rounds through it but am very optimistic that this frame will see some good use as long as ammo gets to be more available again. I still really like my Polymer80 frame and will continue to use it but for now this will take over as my hard use/every day gun. If you are looking for a great upgrade or want to build a more perfected Gen 4 then I certainly recommend taking a look at Nomad Defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somber Sunday

 So, been wearing a badge for seven months now. I enjoy it. Have had good days, fun days, bad days, and even dare I say it, boring days. Tod...